Where did we lurn to spel?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sat Apr 30 15:02:44 UTC 2016

Warren Block wrote:

> > accept in comments. How about dont vs don't ?
>
> The old "be generous in what you accept and strict in what you produce"
> saying can apply.  The code is what we produce, and comments should be
> as good as we can make them.  "Thru" is difficult to justify.  "Dont"
> and "cant" could be from trying to avoid an apostrophe.  Just spelling
> out the words instead of using the contraction solves the problem.

Single apostrophes are best avoided,
noisey when hunting unmatched brackets or quotes with eg my
http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/brackets/

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.eu/jhs/
 Mail plain text,  No quoted-printable, HTML, base64, MS.doc.