Handbook - Typo in Pre-Installation

Benedict Reuschling bcr at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 6 10:50:00 UTC 2015

Am 06.09.15 um 04:37 schrieb Warren Block:
> On Sat, 5 Sep 2015, Allan Jude wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-05 20:11, Ali Ghahraei wrote:
>>> Good afternoon.
>>>
>>> I just wanted to inform you about an error in the handbook (or
>>> at least I think it is one). In "Pre-Installation Tasks" there
>>> is a command for burning disk images, but it currently is:
>>>
>>> # dd if=*FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img* of=/dev/*da0*
>>> bs=1m conv=sync
>>>
>>> And I think it should be:
>>>
>>> # dd if=*FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img* of=/dev/*da0*
>>> bs=1M conv=sync
>>>
>>> With a capital m in bs. This is because I tried to use the
>>> command and it returned dd: invalid number: '1m'.
>>>
>>> I apologize if my English is not too good, but I'm not from an
>>> English-speaking country. I send you this message because I
>>> wanted to help you. I hope it is useful :)
>>
>> Only the Linux utilities are sensitive to the case of the unit,
>> but yes, we should change it in the documentation.
>
> The device name will not be correct on Linux, either.  That is a
> FreeBSD-specific command.  We could add a Linux variation, but it
> ought to explain how to determine the correct device to write.

Right, the device is also different on Macs. PC-BSD has a
comprehensive list of instructions for GUI/non-GUI systems:

http://download.pcbsd.org/iso/10.1-RELEASE/amd64/docs/html/preinstall.html#burning-the-installation-media

> Incidentally, we should test using conv=sync,noerror,sparse.  The
> last one in particular could make writing memory sticks faster.

If we change anything in these instructions, we need to make sure they
are consistent with the ones provided by the release notes. I've used
conv=sync so far without issues, but it might be worth doing some
testing with the other options, too.

Cheers

Benedict