freebsd documentation help

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Sep 5 13:56:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Lukas Splavec wrote:
>> Thanks a lot! I would really appreciate any help possible. At the moment I
>> am trying to make translation software to work and then we can go through
>> it together.
>
> A list of free on line translator engines in case it helps anyone:
> 	http://www.berklix.org/trans/
> Maybe someone might write a shell to call one of the engines on existing
> freebsd.org web pages, then freeze them, & rerun every so often.

It's technically possible.  Licenses and copyright would have to be
considered.

> It could bulk auto translate a mass of languages for FreeBSD really fast.
> it'd be clunky, & freebsd.org doc project till now uses non HTML
> master format

DocBook XML, yes.

> & doc tools (that never build for me),

Please contact me publicly or privately about that.  There have been
problematic ports, but as far as I know, everything should be good now.

> Just as some BSD/IX projects have primary & secondary status CPUs,
> FreeBSD could do similar with human languages ...  Easily add a
> swathe of new auto translated secondary HTML formatted languages.
> When/ if enough volunteers offer to improve translations, edit to primary.

We kind of already have that, although the secondary type is where the
user manually uses Google Translate or one of the other services on one
of our HTML documents.

> Not me though. In 1985 I was contracted to automate Unix src/ translation to 7
> languages, but I don't enoy defects & inconsistencies of human languages.

If you would like to try out the PO translation system... :)