freebsd-update for jails built after "Updating Multiple Jails"

User Phryk phryk at commander1024.de
Fri Oct 16 19:43:27 UTC 2015

Heya,

I set up my jails like described in [1].

My setup differs a tiny bit in directory naming, and the fact
that I've foregone creating skel/etc/make.conf because I'm
using a central poudriere installation for all my port-building
needs. I am assuming this doesn't change anything for updating
the basesystem, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I can update the packages just fine using "pkg upgrade -j<n>",
but I'm kind of at a loss on what the equivalent of doing the
"freebsd-update fetch/install" and "freebsd-update upgrade -r"
procedures is for these kinds of jails.

I've already searched through the docs and asked in freenode/#freebsd a
number of times, but sadly nobody seemed to be able to answer my question…

I'm strongly suspecting that "freebsd-update" is not the way to go and
that I have to have my machine compile the basesystem itself.
Is this the case? And if so, do I just need to follow[2] and then
do "make installworld DESTDIR=/my/jailroot"?

Any help in clearing this confusion up is greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

    phryk

PS: I found this mail address below the documentation, not sure if its
an ML i need to join - if so please don't hesitate to tell me to join
so this question can be answered publicly.

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-application.html
[2] https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html