Possible correction in FreeBSD documentation

Benjamin Kaduk bjk at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 16 16:19:22 UTC 2015

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Tyrone Cusi wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD Doc team,
> Looks like this section in the document: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kerberos5.html needs to be corrected.
> Under the Heimdal configuration in the documentation, this was asked to do in /etc/rc.conf
> Insert the following:
> kerberos5_server_enable="YES"kadmind5_server_enable="YES"
> When I tried it using the lastest FreeBSD release, it actually worked when I used this instead.
> kdc_enable="YES"kpasswdd_enable="YES"kadmind_enable="YES"

You are correct that the kdc_enable and kadmind_enable are the new
preferred ways to enable KDC and kadmind services.  However, there should
be compatibility checks such that the old forms (mentioned in the
documentation) would still work.  I could not tell from your mail, if you
tried setting kerberos5_server_enable="YES" and had it not work.

> Can the document be corrected? Or is there anything I missed in the document?

The document tries to cover all versions of FreeBSD which are currently
supported, and whoever makes the change to the document would need to
confirm that all versions are covered correctly, whether due to support
for the new syntax or by calling out the different behavior in different
versions.

I think I looked at this particular issues some time ago and concluded
that it was easiest to continue to document the old syntax until all
supported versions of FreeBSD support the new syntax, but I could
certainly revisit that decision.

-Ben