FreeBSD Handbook correction?

Nathan Rosenquist freebsd at ratherlargerobot.com
Thu Mar 12 03:08:41 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm working through the section 15.3 in the FreeBSD Handbook: "Creating
and Controlling Jails" [1].

One of the commands in this section of the guide didn't work for me, due
to an invalid path.

The guide says:

-- BEGIN SNIPPET --

To install just the base system, run the next command when using
FreeBSD 9.x or newer:

|#|  *|tar -xf /mnt/freebsd_install/usr/freebsd_dist/base.txz -C $DESTDIR|*

-- END SNIPPET --

I am using the FreeBSD-10.1-RELEASE-amd64-DVD-1.iso disk, and it does
not seem to have this path.

After poking around with find and grep, it seems like perhaps the guide
should be updated to use the following path on FreeBSD 10.1, or at least
the version found on this DVD.

Potentially change:

     /mnt/freebsd_install/usr/freebsd_dist/base.txz

     /mnt/usr/freebsd-dist/base.txz

It is also worth noting that I didn't use the following command from the
guide to mount the DVD:

*|     mount -t cd9660 /dev/`mdconfig -f cdimage.iso` /mnt
|*

Instead, I stuck the DVD in the drive and mounted it like so:

     mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt

I *believe* it might be the same difference, but I'm switching to
FreeBSD after years of primarily using Linux, and wanted to mention it
in case you couldn't reproduce my results.

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-build.html

Thanks,
-Nathan

P.S. The documentation for FreeBSD is so nice! It's a real relief,
compared to the majority of the other things out there.