28.7. Setting Up to Send Only

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Tue Jan 6 09:50:07 UTC 2015

Hello list.

I've just set up ssmtp for the first time after using sendmail as an
outgoing mailer for several years.

Using chapter 28.7 in the handbook

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/outgoing-only.html

The instructions are clear but I missed some information that had been
useful to me.

I'd like to suggest that mention of which information must be present in
the ssmtp.conf file. In the present text it says can be configured.

For example in my case these values had to be changed. For the first two
there was no doubt, the third was by trial and error.

root=yourrealemail at example.com
mailhub=mail.example.com
hostname=_HOSTNAME_

I think it will be helpful to others to mention how ssmtp actually runs.
There's no service to start, it's nice, but from the text it's not clear
how ssmtp runs and that changes to the configuration files are
immediate. Nice to know I think.

Following the first part of chapter

    28.4. Changing the Mail Transfer Agent

I could disable sendmail. I think it should be mentioned earlier in
chapter 28.7 before one starts installing ssmtp.

My suggestion is to move the line

"Make sure to disable Sendmail, including the outgoing mail service. See
Section 28.4.1, "Disable Sendmail"
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mail-changingmta.html#mail-disable-sendmail>
for details."

To before installation of ssmtp.

Maybe some mention of ssmtp in chapter 28.4.2?

These are my 10 cents.

Please feel free to use if you find it productive.

Thanks

/Leslie