igor and xmllint

Christoph Brinkhaus c.brinkhaus at t-online.de
Sat Feb 21 19:48:13 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 12:27:52PM -0500, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2015-02-21 11:51, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have read the fdp-primer but I am not sure about
> > the verification of xml files.
> >
> > In the quick start section igor is mentioned which
> > works well. Unfortunaltely I have overlooked it first
> > because it is just mentioned once.
> >
> > In the other sections the files are checked by xmllint.
> > On by system I have problems with xmllint. Even the self
> > generated file a.txt can not be checked as below:
> >
> > xmllint --valid --noout /home/chris/Projekte/a.txt
> >
> > The response is
> >
> > /home/chris/Projekte/a.txt:2: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
> > <info>abc</info>
> >      ^
> >

> > Does igor included the functions of xmllint or not?
> > Is it necessary to verify a document ifirst by xmllint
> > and then by igor? Or is the test using igor enough?
> >
> > I am using FreeBSD for about one year. Therefore I am not
> > able to generate big documents which are valuable in terms
> > of the content.
> >
> > I can help in changing docuemnts and by translating to German.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Christoph
> >

> igor is a perl script written by a FreeBSD Docs developer to catch
> common mistakes. It looks to make you followed the conventions like two
> spaces after a period, the correct indent level, catches common typos
> and incorrect forms of works from the wordlist.
>
> It is not the same as xmllint, which checks the validity of the xml.
>
> XML documents require a DTD, which defines which elements are valid for
> use in the document.
>
> A typical article will look something like this:

> <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//FreeBSD//DTD DocBook XML V5.0-Based
> Extension//EN"
>         "http://www.FreeBSD.org/XML/share/xml/freebsd50.dtd">
> <article xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"
>   xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="5.0"
>   xml:lang="en"> <info>
>
> which allows all of the docbook elements to be used.
>
> --
> Allan Jude

Dear Allan,

thank you for the quick answer.
I have a problem verifying existing xml files as

/usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook # xmllint --valid --noout book.xml
book.xml:14: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.FreeBSD.org/XML/share/xml/freebsd50.dtd"
]>
  ^
book.xml:18: element book: validity error : No declaration for attribute xmlns of element book
  xml:lang="en">
               ^
book.xml:18: element book: validity error : No declaration for attribute xmlns:xlink of element book
  xml:lang="en">
               ^
and so on. From my understanding the catalog files in /usr/doc/share/xml/
should handle that. I will dig the correct command line parameter.

Kind regards,

Christoph