pkgng intro doc problem

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 16:32:02 UTC 2015

On 2015/08/27 17:14, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 12:02, Chris wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> Just to let you know following the hendbook here doesnt work cleanly.
>>

>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html
>>

>> Here is the output on a clean installed FreeBSD 9.3 machine, note the error
>> that pops up bold highlighted.
>>

>> I ran pkg info at the end, to verify no existing ports are installed.
>>

>> "root at test:/home/cc # pkg
>>
>> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
>>
>> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
>>
>> Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest,
>> please wait...
>>
>> Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301...
>> done
>>
>> Installing pkg-1.5.6...
>>
>> Extracting pkg-1.5.6: 100%
>>
>> Message for pkg-1.5.6:
>>
>> If you are upgrading from the old package format, first run:
>>

>>   # pkg2ng
>>
>> pkg: not enough arguments
>>
>> Usage: pkg [-v] [-d] [-l] [-N] [-j <jail name or id>|-c <chroot path>|-r
>> <rootdir>] [-C <configuration file>] [-R <repo config dir>] [-o var=value]
>> [-4|-6] <command> [<args>]
>>

>> For more information on available commands and options see 'pkg help'.
>>
>> root at test:/home/cc # pkg2ng
>>
>> Converting packages from /var/db/pkg
>>
>> Analysing shared libraries, this will take a while...
>>
>> Checking all packages: 100%
>>
>> root at test:/home/cc # pkg info
>>
>> pkg-1.5.6                      Package manager
>>
>> root at test:/home/cc #"
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Chris

> pkg2ng is only required if you are upgrading a system that used the old
> package system.
>
> By default, a fresh install has no packages, that is expected.

There's also a 'bootstrap' command for pkg(7) [ie. the stub that comes
with the OS which will download and install the real pkg(8)] which is
designed specifically to avoid this sort of problem.

That is certainly in FreeBSD 10.x and above.  I can't remember off hand
if that functionality was MFC'd to any of the 9.x branches though.

	Cheers,

	Matthew