Suggestions for porter's handbook on bsd licenced dependency options

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Aug 7 00:54:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, sid -- wrote:

> I'd like to suggest to put in the porter's handbook, bsd licenced
> alternatives to commonly ported gnu-based dependencies.
>
> For instance, to suggest the [radio] option of "OPENSSL" when the
> program calls on "GNUTLS". It would be great to optionally also have
> listed in the handbook, other alternatives to OPENSSL and GNUTLS like
> NSS, POLARSSL and WOLFSSL. If anyone is unsure of what I'm refering
> to, or the description of the Makefile code, please do a make config
> and see the "Makefile" on "/usr/ports/ftp/curl" to see the possible
> options.

If the application already supports a choice of sub-applications, it is
nice when the port provides those same options.

Porters generally do not add functionality to an application.  devd(8)
is not a drop-in replacement for HAL.  It just offers a similar function
that can be used for detecting hot-plugged input devices.  Some FreeBSD
developers added code to allow for that use, see
x11-servers/xorg-server/files/patch-config_devd.c.  Usually, this type
of work is added upstream, in the application itself.  That makes for
much less work in the future.  Otherwise, porters have to re-integrate
the changes with each new version of the application.

As far as suggesting adding options, that would be more of a policy
thing for the ports people.  It's not something the documentation group
can add to the Porter's Handbook on our own.