Ports search issue

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-lists at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Sep 23 14:44:27 UTC 2014

Can0r <can0r at yandex.ru> writes:

> There is a strange issue with search engine in ports collection.
> When I type 'php55', it finds just 3 ports:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=php55&stype=all&sektion=all
> However there are lots of ports with this query in their names - all
> php55 extensions and php55 itself are not displayed in results.
> It is really uncomfortable to use search in this way.
> Is there any solution for this issue?

Hmm. Interesting. I don't understand perl well enough to figure out
exactly how that search is implemented, but if you select "Package Name"
from pull-down menu to the right of the text field where you entered
"php5", you get this:

  https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=php5&stype=name

This seems to be the same output you would get from

  $ make -C /usr/ports search name=php5

(although it's in a different order, so I'm not completely sure).

If you want to search on package name, specify it explicitly.

As far as fixing the default search (or at least figuring out what it's
supposed to do): somebody who reads perl better than me want to take a
look at it?