docs/188214: Manpage for fsck(8) doesn't say what happens when no -t or -T

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat May 24 17:20:02 UTC 2014

The following reply was made to PR docs/188214; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/188214: Manpage for fsck(8) doesn't say what happens
 when no -t or -T
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 12:11:17 -0500

 ----- Forwarded message from Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> -----

 Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 12:32:04 -0400
 From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
 To: Allan Jude <allanjude at freebsd.org>
 Cc: freebsd-doc at FreeBSD.org
 Subject: Re: docs/188214: Manpage for fsck(8) doesn't say what happens when no -t or -T

 >  Suggesting that it 'attempts to detect' may give the wrong impression.
 >  Someone would have to look at the source of fsck(8) to be sure.

 So, in theory, an attempt to parse /etc/fstab would be
 an attempt to detect the type; however, my quick glance
 at the code showed no real parsing of fstab.  But in
 my case, I followed to both the T and t flags, and just
 glanced at what was done would they not be specified.
 That was really as far as I got, and I attempted to use
 very generic language in case it only does one, or the
 other, or both.  :)

 Reasonable?

 --
 Tom Rhodes