HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 19:57:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> 3) The binary packages need to work out of the box
> 4) .. which means, when you do things like pkg install apache, it
> can't just be installed and not be enabled, because that's a bit of a
> problem;

I disagree on this. For network services on linux ( apart from ssh ), I
want that started very seldom. But I do want the package installed so that
when I need it, it is there. Having it autostart as part of being installed
is breaking KISS and in some way unix philosophy: I asked for something to
be installed, not installed and autostarted.

> 5) .. and then we need examples of actually deploying useful
> scenarios, like "so here's what you type to get django working right",
> "here's how you get a default memcached that works well", "here's how
> you bring up node.js", etc.

Oh yes. I think that quite a few packages have default options that make
them unsuitable for out-of-box usage, ie some lack the sane default
dbi-stuff and so on.

> 6) Then make VMs of the above so people can just clone and install them.
> At least zfs-datasets ready to be run as jails would be really good too.

/A