Handbook - mention portsnap in Section 5.3 - finding software, pkgng respository

Patrick Powell papowell at astart.com
Wed Jul 9 15:36:39 UTC 2014

I notice that Section 5.3 - Finding Software describes how to search for
software but there are a couple
of steps left out that might confuse a newbie.

I think you need to run 'portsnap fetch install' if you did not install
the ports when you did the system installation.  In any case, it is a
good idea.  You might want to put a forward reference to section 5.4 -
Using pkgng.

Also,  on a FreeBSD 9.2 install, when you first enter 'pkg search
subversion' you get the message to install pkgng.
This works fine, you get pkgng version 1.2.7_3 installed.  However, when
you reenter the 'pkg search subversion' you get 'pkg: PACKAGESITE in
pkg.conf is deprecated.  Please create a repository configuration file.'

I suggest that this error message be modified to be '"... Please use man
pkg ...'

I strongly suggest that the man page for pkgng have an example of a
repository file and details of its location.  Also, details of the
contents of the respository file.

I also extremely strongly suggest that Section 5.4 - using pkgng ...
have an example and really really detailed instructions on how to
install the repository file.

I also suggest that since the installation of pgk has add/created the
pkg.conf and pkg.conf.sample,
you might as well create the
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf.example file as well,
and point this out in the error message.

I would suggest that this be done ASAP as without this information it is
difficult for newbies to use/install/understand the pkgng system.

Note:  I think pkg is a GREAT improvement over the old pkg_add, but the
legacy documentation in the FreeBSD handbook needs to be updated.  If
somebody sends me either a set of files for Handbook Section 5.2, 5.3,  5.4
or idiot level instructions on how to access the files (SVN, etc.) I
will edit them and submit them for comment.
I can put the content in the files,  but some expert may need to massage
the formatting a bit.