The Handbook doc on "pkg" is badly out of date

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Wed Jan 15 22:40:18 UTC 2014

On Jan 15, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

>> You might have this backwards. I'm pretty sure that the handbook shows the old configuration information, and the Wiki shows the new.
>
> I don't understand how.  The Handbook mentions pkg.conf but does not show any entries for it, while the wiki shows a sample file.

The handbook says:
=====
The pkgng package management system uses a package repository for most operations. The default package repository location is defined in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf or by the PACKAGESITE environment variable, which overrides the configuration file.
=====
That's not true. The default package respository location is defined in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf, as the Wiki describes.

> Again, I believe the file changed, and it was the presence of the obsolete version that caused the messages.  The current port only installs pkg.conf.sample.

Well, yes. And, when you read the above in the Handbook and see the .sample file, you copy to to pkg.conf.

> Maybe it would help to be more specific: what needs to be changed in the Handbook version?

Say that the configuration goes in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf, and show the sample configuration.

>  Without pkg.conf, the current version of pkg does not complain, so that seems okay.

I'm pretty sure it complained (or obviously didn't work) or I wouldn't have known to go searching. I did not save the error message, but I'm quite sure it didn't work as one would hope.

--Paul Hoffman