how to read security advisories

Joe j.harman at f5.com
Tue Feb 25 21:49:31 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding the "Corrected" version strings in security advisories.  Could you tell me (or point me to documentation about) what the "-p" extensions mean?

For instance, in the "How to read security advisories" page (http://www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security-advisories.html), there is an example of a list of corrected builds, which contains several lines like "2003-09-23 20:08:42 UTC (RELENG_5_1, 5.1-RELEASE-p6)"

I understand what 5.1-RELEASE means, but I cannot find references for what the tailing "-p6" means.

In this example, if I am running FreeBSD 5.1, do I already have the fix?  How can I tell?  I have searched the web for the answer, as well (not easy when looking for "-p"), and have had no luck discovering what the -p extension means.

Apologies if this is the wrong address to be sending this question to, but security advisories are the only place I've seen this notation, so I was hoping to get an explanation for it when I read the "how to read" page, but I didn't…and the bottom of the page says to email this address for questions about this document.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

 - Joe Harman