poor fusefs documentation

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Tue Feb 4 18:25:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM, CeDeROM <cederom at tlen.pl> wrote:
> In example - I need to mount cryptofs or ntfs, I guess mount_fusefs
> should be used for that with proper "-t" option like in standard mount
> program or some automatic fs recognition should take place, but
> instead, I must use dedicated cryptofs application with no manual
> page, and there is no application for ntfs, apropos can tell nothing
> about both cryptofs and ntfs. This looks so Linux :-(

In a perfect situation I would see mount_fusefs to be a frontend for
other filesystem loaders/modules, so we only use mount_fusefs no other
programs, just like ifconfig works. If any other program/loader has a
standalone binary I would consider naming it mount_fusefs_{filesystem}
to be coherent with the base and rest of the mount framework. It would
be nice if mount_fusefs could detect filesystem if a proper loader is
found. I know that fusefs modules/loaders are part of the port tree,
but they should also contain man/info, apropos pages and stick to the
current FreeBSD naming conventions I guess. This way we could get
coherent support for other filesystems provided by fusefs modules.
Please keep the FreeBSD ports "the FreeBSD way" not the "Linux way",
so many of us switched to FreeBSD because of that integrity issues =)