updating ports

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Tue Feb 4 01:14:15 UTC 2014

Currently, there are 2 Handbook sections that deal with upgrading ports:

5.6.3. Upgrading Ports  (which describes the use of the portmaster and portupgrade ports)

and

23.3. Portsnap: a Ports Collection Update Tool (which describes the built-in portsnap)

I would like to combine these into 5.6.3.

Do we want to encourage the use of third-party utils or just encourage the use of the built in one?

If just the built in one, I'll replace 5.6.3 with the contents of 23.3 and reduce portmaster/portupgrade to a note that these utils are available in the ports collection.

If we should describe all three, I'll place 23.3 as the first utility to be described in 5.6.3.

Cheers,

Dru