Wiki - Unable to create an account

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 4 17:10:22 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-04 10:20, Ricardo Santos wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> Some lists have spam problems too.
> I agree with Hakisho: We could have an approval system when adding new content to the wiki for new users or users with less than X posts and, perhaps, enable the registrations again. On the down side, that will give some more work to clusteradm.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Regards,
> Ricardo Santos
>
>> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 01:00:00 +0000
>> Subject: Re: Wiki - Unable to create an account
>> From: nukama at gmail.com
>> To: kaduk at mit.edu; clusteradm at freebsd.org
>> CC: r.santos at live.co.uk; freebsd-doc at freebsd.org

>>> Registrations have been disabled, and the last I checked, clusteradm will
>>> only create wiki accounts upon request of a FreeBSD committer.  The spam
>>> problem was just too big.
>>>
>>> -Ben
>>
>> I nearly lost this thread in the current spam attack
>> on bugzilla. Are there considerations to change the settings,
>> so that first post of an account have to be approved first?
>>
>> This procedure could also be applied to new wiki accounts.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Hakisho Nukama

The problem is that the current wiki software is not based on a database

My understanding is:
When a new user attempts to register, it creates a directory based on
the username, and stores in it the files with the account details of the
user, permissions, etc.

This directory is created before email verification, so that email
verification is possible.

So the spam bots would create 40,000 accounts per day, and even if they
were not verified, they would cause performance problems on the servers
because of the volume of directories and files being created.

I also don't think that the moinmoin software supports a 'require
approval of first post/edit' feature.

I don't know what the solution is.

--
Allan Jude