HandBook DNS Chapter

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Apr 7 16:23:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014, Brad Davis wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am slowly working on moderinzing the DNS chapter. One of the first
> things I need to fix is to put all the BIND content into its own sub
> section. If I do that, the indentation of almost the entire chapter will
> need to shift in one level. So I am seeking your advice for how to do
> this best. Ideally something like tidy(1) would be able to fix the
> indentation for me. What do you think is the best way to solve this
> problem?

At present, I'm not aware of an automatic way to do that.  We definitely
have a need for a program that will take arbitrary DocBook XML files,
parse them, and reformat them with our indentation rules.

For manual changes, editors/geany will indent or unindent sections while
keeping track of tabs and spaces.  If configured that way, anyway, and
I'm not sure of all the settings (but it works here).

Start highlighting and stop when you get to the first line of a <screen>
or <programlisting> element.  Change indent level (ctrl-i, ctrl-u), then
skip over the <screen> or <programlisting> and repeat.

Of course, this should be done as part of a whitespace-only cleanup.
When the indent changes, lines often need to be rewrapped.
textproc/igor can help locate problems.