Downplaying a serious issue

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Apr 3 03:43:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

> I notice that you seriously downplay the filesystem malfunctioning issue
> of FreeBSD/i386 10.0 (and its many betas).

Do we?  What should it say?  Please be specific, preferably in the form
of a PR.  Is this really a doc problem?

> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.0R/errata.html
>
> This is not specific to some weird hardware.  It is not specific to
> virtualbox.  As I have reported (and been shouted down) it happens under
> KVM and Xen.  It happens under Xen+Linux as well as Xen+NetBSD.

Please post links to those reports.

> FreeBSD is becoming strange.  I've been using every release since 1.1,
> and have liked it.  Now it is unstable, critical bug reports are
> ignored, serious problems are being downplayed, the compiler is
> terrible.  Did Apple money corrupt a great project?

If you have had rude treatment from someone in the project, I apologize.
Insulting and accusing the rest of us is not likely to produce good
results.  Most of us are volunteers, and hard enough to motivate even
without resentment.