docs/188214: Manpage for fsck(8) doesn't say what happens when no -t or -T

Ronald F.Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Apr 3 03:40:00 UTC 2014

>Number:         188214
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Manpage for fsck(8) doesn't say what happens when no -t or -T
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

9.1-RELEASE amd64

It has been suggested to me that if and when fsck(8) is invoked _without_
any explicitly provided -t or -T options, fsck will, in such cases, attempt
to intuit the type of the filesystem on its own, perhaps based upon
information/clues gleened from the local /etc/fstab file and/or from some
relevant BSD disk label.

If true, then this behavior does not appear to be documented at all within
the fsck(8) manpage.

This is an important aspect of the behavior of fsck(8).  If verified, then
it should be documented in the manpage.

>How-To-Repeat:

man 8 fsck

>Fix:

Sorry, I do not have any suggested replacement text for the relevant manpage
at this time.