CCTV (off topic)

Frank Leonhardt freebsd-doc at fjl.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 16:00:16 UTC 2014

In case anyone was wondering what kind of idiot would post this, I
decided to give them a call. It probably was sent by on or behalf of a
legitimate small company, albeit down-market at £50 per camera. They
paid for a list that went to business in the north-west of England. The
spam was sent out from Canada by an agent, probably to avoid legal
problems, although there's no suggestion that their client was sensible
to this.

For what it's worth, they apologised and will be taking it up with the
company they paid for the dud data. It's illegal to send out emails like
this in Europe, unless it's a business you've opted to receive emails from.

Feel free to berate  them directly (Phil Law does exist) but I'm putting
it down to naivety and allowing market forces to prevent it (they'll
want to give their mailing list supplier a good kicking).