Docbook: programlisting and screen

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Mon Sep 30 22:27:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:44 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Randy Pratt wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that trying to copy content from the rendered Handbook
> > from a browser does not retain the line breaks in some places.  This
> > occurs for material that are contained within a <programlisting> or
> > <screen> elements.
> >
> > As an example, try to copy and paste some content from the section
> > 30.6.5.5. for "An Example Stateful Ruleset" into a text editor.
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-ipfw.html)
> >
> > The result is the entire copied content is a single line which would
> > require a lot of tedious editing.  I've tried different browsers with
> > the same result.  I finally ended using the xml source to do the
> > copy.
> >
> > I seem to remember being able to do a copy but it was probably
> > when sgml was used.  Is there some way to make it easier to copy
> > these sections?
>
> Firefox on FreeBSD does this for me also.  Interestingly, IE on Windows
> copies and pastes that example fine.  Firefox does not, on either
> FreeBSD or Windows.  Midori on FreeBSD pastes it correctly.  Either a
> new Firefox bug, or maybe a default setting that changed?

Hi Warren,

It could very well be a Firefox bug.  It has plenty and is a memory hog
like Opera.  If it is some default setting, it would probably take hours
of web searching to find it.

I just installed midori and it looks to be a better choice for my
browser but I'll have to get used to it.

Thanks for the quick response (and suggestion for browser ;-)  Now back
to converting my old SGML stuff to XML.

Randy