Update on Print Edition

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Wed Oct 9 21:05:58 UTC 2013

Things are starting to move along for the Print Edition of the Handbook. The goal is to have a publishable PDF to the Mall (and an epub/pdf to the Foundation) by the end of the year. It may turn out that having Volume 1 ready by end of year and Volume 2 by end of Q1/14 is more realistic.

I've started an editorial doc where I put each day's progress notes. The latest version is uploaded once per day and is available at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~dru/handbook_toc.odt

The current milestone is to get as much of Chapters 1-11 into a yellow state (i.e. ready for a many-eyes review to make final patches and sign-off as "print-ready") in time for the doc sprints at vBSDCon (October 25-26) as several doc committers will be in attendance. While Internet access is supposed to be good at this event, it is in the evening which will be too late in the day for most European and Asian committers. However, everyone is encouraged to review content, submit patches, and discuss their thoughts on which chapters are good to go.

If you have a section you've been thinking about editing and have time to do so in the next few weeks, let us know and we'll mark that chapter as taken and concentrate on other chapters instead. There's still a whole lot of work to do and now is a good time to get it done!

Cheers,

Dru