About FreeBSD.org visitors

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 3 18:23:13 UTC 2013

On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:

> Here is an overview of the people that visit FreeBSD.org:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/Report-10.01.pdf
>
> Some takeaways:
>
> - More than half (60%) the people that come to our website leave
> without going to another page (called 'bouncing').  However these
> users spend more time than any other user per page.
> - Non-bouncing users had an average of just over 4 pages per session
> but spent about an average of 0.86/s per page.  They spend most of
> their time on the last page.
>
> From these I think we can take away that most people come looking for
> something very specific.
> How can we fix this? Better search maybe?  Improved navigation bar?
> Its up to you to work on this.
>
> - New users spend a lot *less* time on the site than repeat visitors.
>
> Do we need better advocacy data?  Less text to confuse new users?  Is
> this trend specific to FreeBSD or is it true across the board?
>
> - Internet Explorer is 10% of our traffic.
>
> Many of ours users use Windows as there primary desktop platform.
> Probably more if we include not-IE on Windows.
>
> What other insights do you see?
> What other data might be helpful for us?

I thought we were going to see what pages are being hit the most, what kind of search
patterns people use to find us (and pages we host), so that we can anticipate that there
are perhaps searches that we do not provide content with effectively, or that the "download"
and "security information" pages are being requested most often, so that we can make sure
that vital and accurate information is printed there.

For me, your PDF does not say anything at all, because the why's cannot be filled in with this
information. What were people looking for and what did they hit? "Download FreeBSD" and
getting the page "Why contribute to FreeBSD" doesn't satisfy the download request so we should
adopt it.

Nice graphs, useless information (imo).

Remko