About FreeBSD.org visitors

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Thu Oct 3 15:15:20 UTC 2013

Here is an overview of the people that visit FreeBSD.org:
http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/Report-10.01.pdf

Some takeaways:

- More than half (60%) the people that come to our website leave
without going to another page (called 'bouncing').  However these
users spend more time than any other user per page.
- Non-bouncing users had an average of just over 4 pages per session
but spent about an average of 0.86/s per page.  They spend most of
their time on the last page.

>From these I think we can take away that most people come looking for
something very specific.
How can we fix this? Better search maybe?  Improved navigation bar?
Its up to you to work on this.

- New users spend a lot *less* time on the site than repeat visitors.

Do we need better advocacy data?  Less text to confuse new users?  Is
this trend specific to FreeBSD or is it true across the board?

- Internet Explorer is 10% of our traffic.

Many of ours users use Windows as there primary desktop platform.
Probably more if we include not-IE on Windows.

What other insights do you see?
What other data might be helpful for us?

--
Eitan Adler