docs/177429: dd(1) man page is unclear about semantics of conv=sync

Ronald F.Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Mar 28 03:30:01 UTC 2013

>Number:         177429
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       dd(1) man page is unclear about semantics of conv=sync
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE amd64

The man page for dd(1) describes the "sync" parameter of the "conv=" option
thusly:

              sync     Pad every input block to the input buffer size.  Spaces
                       are used for pad bytes if a block oriented conversion
                       value is specified, otherwise NUL bytes are used.

This verbage is entirely unclear. What is a "block oriented conversion value"
and how would a user know whether or not he had specified one?

The man page should make this more clear & explicit.

>How-To-Repeat:

man 1 dd

>Fix:

I don't know what the fix is because I don't have the vaguest idea what a