BSD For Linux Users (update)

Derek Wood ddwood at highdensity.org
Fri Mar 1 17:34:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:50:52PM -0000, sib at tormail.org wrote:
> My question to you: Would anyone here be interested in updating it (or
> just helping a bit) to be more accurate with the modern FreeBSD world, and
> has a place to host it that we can link to? I think this would really be a
> nice improvement and help us teach more new users about how we do things.
>
> Also, a few official pages on freebsd.org are growing a bit old
> (references to CVS, etc.) and might need similar treatment:
>
> FreeBSD: An Open Source Alternative to Linux
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/linux-comparison/article.html
> FreeBSD Quickstart Guide for Linux Users
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/linux-users/index.html
> Comparing BSD and Linux
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html
>
> I'm going to begin going through all of these pages in the next few days
> and see what needs to be updated and how much work this will be, but I
> would greatly appreciate any help from the community!

My suggestion would be to host it on wiki.freebsd.org and then
eventually convert it into an article or chapter of the handbook. If
you don't have an account for the wiki you can drop by #bsddocs or
#bsdports on efnet and someone will get you sorted.

As for the article, I think it would be most productive to examine
which of those you linked can be replaced with the document you intend
to write, then make sure that the new document includes the
information of the outgoing documents. We don't really need >3 "Linux
vs FreeBSD" articles, just one really good one.