RFC: Profiling and merging for the print edition

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 20 16:11:12 UTC 2013

Em 20-06-2013 17:55, Hiroki Sato escreveu:
> wb> After applying the patch, build either the online or print version of
> wb> the book with:
> wb>
> wb>   make EDITION=online clean book.html
> wb>   make EDITION=print  clean book.html
> wb>
> wb> The "online" version includes all sections with edition="online" or an
> wb> edition not set.
>
>   Please do not add a separate make variable for that.  We already have
>   FORMATS, and setting profiling variables (profile.attribute and
>   profile.value in XSLT) based on it should work.
>
>   Also, we should consider/discuss what kind of difference we need
>   actually and should allow between the two first.  Basically I am
>   against marking up everything with "online" or "print" because it
>   just makes the source files complicated.  I think it is useful only
>   for separating lengthy preface, edition history, and pgpkey list from
>   the body in book.xml.
I believe that XHTML is an online format by nature but pdf may also be
distributed as an online snapshot after the actual release so I would
also treat them separated as Warner suggests.

Gabor