RFC: acronym tags

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Jun 17 18:39:14 UTC 2013

The FDP writing guide says:

   The first three uses of an acronym should be enclosed in acronym tags,
   with a role attribute with the full term defined. This allows a link
   to the glossary to be created, and for mouseovers to be rendered with
   the fully expanded term.

I believe this is obsolete.  The current usage is to tag every
occurrence of an acronym, but not enter the definition in the role
attribute.  AFAIK, we've never used these to generate the glossary or
mouseover links.

My suggestion is to make the current usage the preferred style:
1. Tag each occurrence of an acronym.
2. Do not enter the role= attribute.  These could result in differing
definitions for the same acronym.