RFC: Upgrading to DocBook 5.0

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 5 12:35:34 UTC 2013

Gabor Kovesdan <gabor at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <519FA4FE.4030305 at FreeBSD.org>:

ga> username --> systemitem class="username"
ga> groupname --> systemitem class="groupname"
ga> hostid role="fqdn" --> systemitem class="fqdomainname"
ga> hostid role="hostname" --> systemitem class="fqdomainname"
ga> hostid role="domainname" --> systemitem class="fqdomainname"
ga> hostid role="netmask" --> systemitem class="netmask"
ga> hostid role="mac" --> systemitem class="etheraddress"
ga> hostid role="ipaddr" --> systemitem class="ipaddress"
ga> hostid --> systemitem

 Hmm, I do not like to create "a rule" to mark up both a username and
 a hostname by using <systemitem> element without attribute.  Even if
 the rendering results are the same, they are different.  Is it
 problem with allowing both writing <systemitem>s without attribute
 and adding attributes into them later (or at the same time)?  I do
 not think limiting the vocabulary is useful for learning.  Allowing
 people who are not familiar with DocBook to mark up by using
 <systemitem> only should be enough if it is really an issue.

ga> This is actually a type of file and the filename class attribute may
ga> also be devicefile, which expresses its semantics. Again, we should
ga> consider dropping the class attributes to simplify things:
ga> devicename --> filename class="devicefile"
ga>
ga> These are not actually distinguished in formatting and the package
ga> element expresses them better:
ga> filename role="package" --> package
ga> filename role="port" --> package

 package should support a role to distinguish if it is a port or a
 package because the linkend can be different.  The following DSSSL
 fragment was removed in our XSLT:

----
        (element filename
          (let* ((class         (attribute-string (normalize "role"))))
            (cond
             ((equal? class "package")
              (let* ((urlurl    "http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi")
                     (href      (string-append urlurl "?ports/"
                                               (data (current-node))
                                               "/pkg-descr")))
                (create-link (list (list "HREF" href)) ($mono-seq$))))
             (else ($mono-seq$)))))
----

-- Hiroki