<userinput> and other tag usage

[ScaleEngine] Allan Jude allan.jude at scaleengine.com
Thu Jul 25 18:32:51 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-25 14:15, Warren Block wrote:
> When writing <userinput> sections, I've generally not used other
> markup inside those sections except for <replaceable>.  For example:
>
>   <userinput>rm /tmp/foo</userinput>
>
> However, there are some spots in the Handbook where <filename> tags
> are also used:

> This looks different in the XHTML output, with the filename rendered
> in green.
>
> I feel that the first form is correct, we are pointing out what the
> user should type, but can see benefits for the second.  I have not
> counted to see which form is prevalent, but think it is the first.
> The FDP Primer actually uses a filename without filename tags in the
> <userinput> example.
>
> Anyone care strongly either way?

I imagine the important bit is if the filename is literal, or replaceable.
Is the named file a specific file that might have a man page entry (like
rc.conf)?
Is it a file whos name the user will likely want to change?

It seems a <filename> would be useful to point use that extra attention
should be paid to the fact that this is a filename, not an argument to a
command

--

Allan Jude
E: allan.jude at scaleengine.com