CFR: documentation rendered in PDF with FOP

Gabor Kovesdan gabor.kovesdan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 22:58:52 UTC 2013

On 2013.07.23. 23:11, Warren Block wrote:

> Thanks for your work on this!
>
> In a quick look, I did not notice any obvious problems.  What are the
> quality problems with dblatex?
- Customization is more complicated.
- Overall outlook just doesn't look so nice. That may be improved by
customization but that's not so trivial.
- It doesn't support programlistings in lists and several documents
still fail because of this.
- Somehow it doesn't properly wrap non-Latin text:
http://kovesdan.org/files/tex-ja.pdf
   Maybe it is trivial to fix, I just don't know how CJK text is handled
in TeX. But I don't understand why something so trivial doesn't just
work out of the box.

> There is something weird about bulleted lists and sub-lists, starting
> on page 35 of the PDF Handbook (page 7-9 of the content).  Some
> entries in the first list are blank, the ones in the second list have
> an extra linefeed after the bullet.
It is a known issue and is actually the result of misplaced indexterms,
not a bug in the rendering. I've already fixed some of them in the
English docs but translations still has to be fixed and there may be
slightly different cases, which I haven't caught yet. We should document
in fdp-primer that indexterms should be put right inside of the text
after the referred word. Not between paragraphs, not into
<itemizedlist>, not into <listitem> but right inside <para> after the
referred word without leaving a single a space. If they are not in
<para>, it can cuase such problems. And if you put a space before the
indexterm, there may be a page break and you get a wrong page number in
the index. But the probability of this latter is very low, the former
thing is more important.

> The line-wrap characters are very welcome! They still need some tuning
> (see PDF page 26).  Or maybe that's in the source XML, but it's good
> to see a start on that!
Yes, I've also noticed that that page is quite weird. The line-wrap part
should be easy to fix, we just have to add the comma as a possible
wrapping character. It is stranger why the text overflows instead of
causing a page break. The good thing is that the output of the renderer
is very clean and we can clearly see which pages have overflows.

Gabor