RFC: Upgrading to DocBook 5.0

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 15 08:46:49 UTC 2013

On 2013.07.15. 6:58, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> ga> The semantics of a title could be defined like a plain text title and
> ga> that would be a valid semantics, too. True, it is also possible to
> ga> solve it when rendering but if we decide that we don't want such in
> ga> titles, why not just changing the semantics and sparing some
> ga> stylesheet code? Both the docs and the stylesheets would be more
> ga> simple.
>
>   I like to solve this upon rendering and I think it will be simpler
>   because a policy of plain text title (in markup) practically does not
>   work without DTD change, and elements such as <replaceable> can be
>   included in title elements via entity references or so in any way.
>   Forcing a consistent style for title elements looks easy to me.
I thought of adding some Schematron constraints for the problematic
cases but I'll go for the rendering customization if this is better
accepted. I agree that this may work better for entity references.
> ga> > The previous toolchain rendered that title in bold:
> ga> >http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/9.0-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html
> ga> > Agreed, that title does not look very good.  Adding a colon to list
> ga> > titles when rendering would help.  Removing all list titles be too
> ga> > severe.
> ga> Having a colon at the end of the paragraph and another one at the end
> ga> of the list title? It seems even more confusing to me.
> ga> Why is to severe removing them? Do they add any extra information that
> ga> helps you understanding the content? I think it makes the
> ga> comprehension more difficult and is just counter-productive.
> ga>
> ga> Can you find a published book with such list titles?
>
>   I think removing title is fine.  Although there are some exmaples for
>   such an informal title like this:
>
>    Pros:
>     - A
>     - B
>
>    Cons:
>     - C
>     - D
>
>   they are items, not "title" actually.  If we really need it, it
>   should be a caption.
I believe these are already rendered as normal paragraphs between two
itemizedlists but I'll verify this.

Gabor