Fixing the man page for renice

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jul 7 13:15:55 UTC 2013

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013, Frank Leonhardt wrote:

> On 06/07/2013 22:19, Warren Block wrote:
>       On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>             On 06/07/2013 16:28, Glen Barber wrote:
>
>             Thanks Glen - the "patch" business is what's putting me off! I'm sure once I've done it, nothing will stop me. Is there a page or *really simple* guide to doing
>             it, that assumes nothing?
>

>       Assuming the source in is /usr/src:
>         cd /usr/src/usr.bin/renice
>         cp renice.8 renice.8.orig
>
>       Edit the new version as desired.  When done,
>         cd /usr/src
>         diff -u usr.bin/renice/renice.8.orig usr.bin/renice/renice.8 > ~/renice.diff
>
>       This is a bit easier if you use Subversion to check out the source.
>
>             I'm tempted to re-write the whole lot, but I'm successfully resisting.
>

>       The use of asides, "the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to", and "administrative fiats" make me twitchy.  It seems more complicated
>       than necessary and could stand with some clarity improvements.
>

> Thank you so much for the "idiot's guide". It's exactly what I needed for the first time around.

I should have mentioned that the one to edit is renice.8, but maybe it
was clear.

If Subversion was used to check out the source, just edit that file.
When done, produce a patch with
   cd /usr/src
   svn diff usr.bin/renice/renice.8 > ~/renice.8.diff

Also, mdoc(7) is the reference for the mdoc macros.  Sadly, we don't
have anything about it in the FDP Primer.

> As to the language style, I was also worrying about things like "...can only monotonically increase...", but perhaps my memories of calculus are sub-par and it'd be as clear as day to
> the rest of the world. I'm inclined to do a radical rewrite and a tweak and post them both here for the list to decide.

That would be great!  Thanks!