Fixing the man page for renice

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jul 6 21:19:14 UTC 2013

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> On 06/07/2013 16:28, Glen Barber wrote:
>
> Thanks Glen - the "patch" business is what's putting me off! I'm sure once
> I've done it, nothing will stop me. Is there a page or *really simple* guide
> to doing it, that assumes nothing?

Assuming the source in is /usr/src:
   cd /usr/src/usr.bin/renice
   cp renice.8 renice.8.orig

Edit the new version as desired.  When done,
   cd /usr/src
   diff -u usr.bin/renice/renice.8.orig usr.bin/renice/renice.8 > ~/renice.diff

This is a bit easier if you use Subversion to check out the source.

> I'm tempted to re-write the whole lot, but I'm successfully resisting.

The use of asides, "the affected processes will run only when nothing
else in the system wants to", and "administrative fiats" make me
twitchy.  It seems more complicated than necessary and could stand with
some clarity improvements.