RFC: Dealing with version-specific docs

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 30 21:45:24 UTC 2013

Em 30-01-2013 21:12, Hiroki Sato escreveu:
>   I have no objection to use @os (or some other attrs) for conditional
>   text, but it may need an attention that profiling feature of DocBook
>   XSLT is exclusive, IIRC.  What I mean by "exclusive" is that it works
>   for elements for each version like this:
>
>   <para os="freebsd8" >8.X specific</para>
>   <para os="freebsd9" >9.X specific</para>
>   <para os="freebsd10">10.X specific</para>
>
>   but we cannot write the common part like this:
>
>   <para os="freebsd8 freebsd9">8.X and 9.X specific</para>
>   <para os="freebsd10">10.X specific</para>
It is true, that's why I proposed the semantics to be "up to X until the
version, which has a new marked section". DocBook profiling is indeed
exclusive but online the printed edition would be profiled and it would
exclusively contain FreeBSD 9.X related information, while the online
edition would not be profiled so would contain everything.

>   In a past, I created and used a patch (for another project) to
>   support multiple keywords and negation (condition="!print" for
>   ignoring it only in printable formats) in an attr for profiling
>   because some more flexibility was needed.  However, in this case
>   there is another drawback that validation is not possible and a typo
>   in the profiling attr, "freedsb8" for example, is silently ignored.
I had Schematron validation in mind but since I'm still polishing the
toolchain part I didn't mention it, just wanted to give the editors a
starting point to avoid blocking the content reorganization because of
the technical issues.

Gabor