removing CVS in Handbook Updating and Upgrading chapter

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 30 17:53:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:

> Guys, I'm very embarrassed, I meant to send this but hid the window in my dock instead.
> (skip to end to avoid continuing the same conversation- long story short, I concede your plan is good)

Just one point I'd like to clear up:

> The alternative, to me, is equally frustrating for a new user:
>
> pkg add cvsup, (watch while pkg itself apologizes on it's way to installing itself), whops, just installed pkg?  Yeah- no binary packages right now, come back another day.
> now, download ports tree, learn portsnap, (and the few tools like pkg_info which are still *sortof* required to work with ports).
> Now, install SVN- dependencies and all.

I think, as an avoider of packages, that this will work:

# setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/Latest/
# pkg_add -r subversion

Right now, those packages are still from October, but that should still
be a new enough Subversion for use.  (I think, have not tested.)

> Now, svn to /usr/src, except whops- what happens if you installed src it with boot media?  svn complains- new to svn?  Figure that out, and muster up the courage to rm or mv /usr/src

Yes, that's a major difference, with svn actively managing files.
We've been adding warnings not to check out over existing directories.

> Even though I disagree with the tactic, the spirit of your approach is
> awesome (and cvsup serving src won't be alive for too long), we'll all
> only have to deal with this transition mess for (n) months more,
> (hopefully n<6).

That would be great.  The experience with the ports transition will
likely make the later source transition easier.  In the meantime, I
think a short "what to do" document would help:

csup has stopped working!  What can I do now?

To update ports, use portsnap(8).
To update system source for -STABLE or -CURRENT, use svn(1).
To update system binaries, use freebsd-update(8).
To get release source, download and untar, or use freebsd-update(8).

(These would all have links to the Handbook or anywhere else relevant.)

> In the meantime, hope to buy you a beer.

Likewise, and thanks!