RFC: Dealing with version-specific docs

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 29 16:49:24 UTC 2013

Em 28-01-2013 16:47, Gabor Kovesdan escreveu:
> Em 28-01-2013 16:13, Warren Block escreveu:
>> In other words:
>>
>> <para os="freebsd8">To do foobar, type bar.</para>
>> <para os="freebsd9">To do foobar, type baz.</para>
>>
>> Could render as:
>>
>>   FreeBSD 8.X:
>>   +-------------------------+
>>   | To do foobar, type bar. |
>>   +-------------------------+
>>
>>   FreeBSD 9.X:
>>   +-------------------------+
>>   | To do foobar, type baz. |
>>   +-------------------------+
>>
>> Those could be in boxes or some other kind of visible mark, or maybe
>> just in indented sections with titles.  If it is not necessary to
>> repeat the version information in two forms, then it can't be out of
>> sync.
> This is doable if we limit on what elements we use the conditions,
> e.g. sect1-sect6, para, etc. But the number of elements should be
> limited, otherwise it needs a heavy rewrite of the stylesheets.
One more thing I forgot to mention. To alter rendering in the PDF
output, we practically have to change to XSLT and XSL FO-based
processing, which needs to pull in Java as a dependency for PDF
rendering. There was no consensus on this so far that's also one reason
that for now I proposed marking up conditional sections in this way.

Gabor