removing CVS in Handbook Updating and Upgrading chapter

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jan 27 02:23:06 UTC 2013

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:

> Regarding src, this appears to be jumping the gun quite a bit, with possibly bad consequences:
>
>  + ports, cvsup access end-of-lifed Feb 28
>   (cool! drop cvs/cvsup references for it)
>  - source, cvsup deprecated - no end-of-life date set
>   (until canonical replacement is in place)
>
> Instead of replacing *all* CVS urls with SVN, I would like to advise you to merely make note of cvsup being deprecated for src?

Deprecation warnings are already in the current version, since November
17:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

> Not sure if I need to explain this, but:
> For a large number of system integrators, building userland/kernel from source is critical.
> Most of these builds happen before ports/pkg get installed, (if they even do).  The current state of SVN, binary packages, ports mechanism changes, and otherwise- all make for some nasty chicken/egg problems for many systems integrators.

This part of the Handbook refers to fetching source for -CURRENT or
-STABLE.  We should not be suggesting CVS to new users who want to run
development versions of FreeBSD.  It's a misdirection, like a
Perldoc-esque "here's an example, but you should never, ever do this".

Existing CVS users already know how to use it, being existing and all.
So the removal of CVS information from this chapter should not harm
anyone already using it and should help by not steering newcomers to the
wrong tool.