explicit use of /etc/rc.d vs service

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jan 24 21:45:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 24 January 2013 20:13, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>>
>> Should be sshd_enable="YES" in both places.
>
> Why?
>
> Useless quotes are not useful, and the habit of using them everywhere
> is actively harmful.

I'm only talking about rc.conf, where the examples (AFAIK) always use
quoting.  It's probably a shortcut around having to explain quoting
things that contain whitespace.

> Sorry to sound a little OCD, but overquoting bothers me, and it
> doesn't fit with rc.subr style.  (Let's ignore defaults/rc.conf for
> now...)

Okay.  Let me put it this way: examples should be consistent, not just
in a section but preferably across a whole book.  That said, leaving
these unquoted is not the worst possible thing ever.