explicit use of /etc/rc.d vs service

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jan 24 17:22:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-24 14:52, Elias Chrysocheris <elias_chr at otenet.gr> wrote:
> >Sounds like a very good idea. I don't know how many times I have had
> >problems with bad paths leaking into cron etc meaning it fails on reboot
> >since something depended on the trained environment. (Service solves that.)
>
> Yes, but there are sometimes that service does not act as it should
> be. For example, in my FreeBSD 9.1 (happened also in 8.x) service
> apache22 onerestart, restarts apache22 but there something is
> missing... I do not have access to my mercurial web interface. It
> returns an error. But when I /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 onerestart
> evrything works fine...

Is there any case this could be a WSGI bug?  I know that Mercurial's web
interface has WSGI capabilities, so maybe something is 'stuck' after
onestart and it's not related to 'service' but to what happens when one
runs any sort of WSGI service under apache.

Not that this is not a real problem, though.  Just that we should try to
solve the underlying issue, if any, and make it easier to use service
XXX commands.

- Giorgos