9.1-RELEASE announcement and BitTorrent?

Simon L. B. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 1 10:07:18 UTC 2013

On 31 December 2012 01:31, Alan Amesbury <amesbury at oitsec.umn.edu> wrote:
> The FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE announcement located at
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/announce.html
>
> says, "[t]he required files can be downloaded via FTP or BitTorrent as
> described in the sections below..." but makes no further mention of
> BitTorrent.  I see torrents.freebsd.org still has a 503 error up with a note
> saying it probably won't be back.  Is the plan to host FreeBSD's releases
> via one of the well known public trackers (e.g., publicbt.com) or to
> completely abandon that method of distribution?  Either way, the
> announcement probably should be changed, i.e., either list the BitTorrent
> methods available or remove all mention of BitTorrent.

Yes, it was a copy/paste error from previous annouments and should
probably be removed from the online copy. re@ CC'ed for that.

There isn't really a plan yet AFAIK. The old setup just wasn't
sustainable so it had to be taken down. Some people have looked at
trackerless setups but AFAIK not yet in detail on setting something
up.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen