Do we care for manpage links in <title> elements?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 26 12:49:40 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that in all the places where a chapter <title> includes a
&an.xxx.section; entity the rendering in HTML output sucks a bit.  Note
how there are two separate links in the 'Using rc(8) Under FreeBSD'
title in the following screenshot:

    http://people.freebsd.org/~keramida/rc8-title-link.png

macro is included in the title, the final rendering becomes:

    <a link="foo">
      some text
      maybe more text
    </a>

The embedded <a> terminates the first link, and the first </a>
terminates the second link, so we end up with the broken rendering
pf the screenshot and two _different_ links in the same sentence.

Is there any way to automatically detect this and translate the
embedded <a> element that &man.xxx.y; generates to something harmless,
like <span>?

If not, do we really care for &man.xxx.y; in titles, or should we just
replace them with plain text?