Typo in Example 19.1 in Handbook?

Benjamin Kaduk bjk at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 16 19:42:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Mike. wrote:

> This example
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/geom-glabel.html#idp80661168
>

> has the text
>
> "...Reboot the system, and at the loader(8) prompt, press 4 to
> boot into single user mode. Then enter the following
> commands:..."
>

> I run FreeBSD 9.2, and the 'boot into single user mode' option
> shows as #2 on the loader menu. Option #4 is 'Reboot'.
>
> Did the option numbering change since the example was written?
> If the option numbering does chnage between releases, maybe the
> mention of the option number should be removed and the option
> text used instead.

The numbering did change since that example was written, though I believe
there is strong pressure to not repeat such a change.  (The numbering
change was part of a big rewrite in how the loader interface presented
itself.)

I will try to update the text to be correct for the current numbering
scheme.

Thanks for the report!

-Ben Kaduk