docs/184758: error in rtadvd.conf example

Andrew andrew at ugh.net.au
Sat Dec 14 00:00:01 UTC 2013

>Number:         184758
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       error in rtadvd.conf example
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD sanna.ugh.net.au 10.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-PRERELEASE #0 r259080: Sun Dec 8 13:46:23 CET 2013 andrew at sanna.ugh.net.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANNA amd64

The example entry for an rtadvd.conf file in the handbook (30.10.5) has in its
last field "tc=ether". There is no example of having an ether entry in this
file or the rtadvd.conf man page. Have a tc reference to a non existent entry
appears to cause the whole entry to be ignored.

The example entry also sets "addrs" to 1. There is no mention of what this
does either in that handbook section or in the man page. I can't see any
reference in the source either so perhaps this is no longer needed?

Without those 2 entries the only thing left is setting the address range but
rtadvd will pick this up from the interface itself in most normal
configurations so no config file should be needed at all.

I'm no expert on rtadvd so please confirm this yourself but this is what my
experiments lead me to believe.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

Remove the instructions about creating an rtadvd.conf file.