4.12 Binary Formats

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 17:36:09 UTC 2013

On 08/08/2013 01:11, Hugh O'Brien wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a relatively long time user but was recently reading through the
> handbook to see if there was anything I could learn when I found this
> section:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/binary-formats.html
>
> It's an interesting read, but I must question the wisdom of including it in
> this stage of the handbook, where users are still new to the system. It
> stands apart from the more immediately practical knowledge in the previous
> pages and might be better suited to a page on writing your own programs.
>
> I just wanted to call attention to this,
>
> Thanks for the docs,
>
> Hugh

I think Hugh's got a really relevant point here.

UNIX is a programming environment (I've got a book right here written by
one of its original writers that says this on the cover). Knowing about
compilers and binary formats is pretty fundamental to make sense of
this. However, these days there are non-programmers using it - ranging
from WP users to web developers. They probably need to know how to
install it, get the graphic desktop up and start up their word
processor. EVERYTHING in the UNIX Basics section is probably way over
their heads (would you really suggest vi to a newbie who was never going
to touch the command line), and thus unnecessary.

Personally I think the UNIX handbook should stay as-is. The binary
formats section could be moved to a different position, but that could
be said for a lot of it. However, the intended audience, specified in
the preface, could possibly do with a bit of tweaking to make it clear
what kind of user it's aimed at.

When UNIX first appeared (when I first appeared, for that matter),
computer users and administrators weren't that far apart on a technical
level. The computer user would most likely be writing their own programs
to solve their needs in 'C' or BASIC. Should the Handbook be thrown away
and rewritten to cope with users with no interest in programming? Nope -
it's the system handbook. Unfortunately it's appearing in the slot
people might reasonably expect to find a User Guide. Appendix B2 does
point readers (eventually) to a Users' Guide, but this is possibly even
less helpful as a document!

I've been watching the PC-BSD project with interest, hoping it'd be a
good desktop OS with user-land documentation, but it suffers from the
same problems as the FreeBSD Handbook when it comes to modern users -
except it does it using a graphical user interface.

Some people in the FreeBSD world want it to be a ubiquitous environment,
running on desktop PCs, tablets, servers and everything. Evolve or die?
Maybe.

Regards, Frank.