Documentation bug on http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ipsec.html

Andy D'Arcy Jewell andydj at icritical.com
Wed Aug 7 07:54:20 UTC 2013

Hi BSD guys,

I'm working through the IPSEC tutorial at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ipsec.html

After the tunnel creation incantations, there are some route add
commands that seem to be in error, syntactically:

"""
As expected, both sides have the ability to send and receive ICMP
packets from the privately configured addresses. Next, both gateways
must be told how to route packets in order to correctly send traffic
from either network. The following command will achieve this goal:

# corp-net# route add 10.0.0.0 10.0.0.5 255.255.255.0
# corp-net# route add net 10.0.0.0: gateway 10.0.0.5
# priv-net# route add 10.246.38.0 10.246.38.1 255.255.255.0
# priv-net# route add host 10.246.38.0: gateway 10.246.38.1
"""

The "route add {net,host}" commands both return
errors "route: bad address: {net,host}". From the manpage, I see it
should probably be "-net" or "-host", but fixing that then gives the
error "route: bad address: 10.78.200.0:" which I guess is complaining
about the trailing colon.

In the manpage, under the DIAGNOSTICS section, it hints at something
resembling the format used above, but I think it means "error
output format":

add [host | network ] %s: gateway %s flags %x The specified route is
being added to the tables. The values printed are from the routing table entry supplied in the ioctl(2) call.  If the
gateway address used was not the primary address of the gateway (the
first one returned by gethostbyname(3)), the gateway address is printed
numerically as well as symbolically.
iCritical is a brand of Critical Software Ltd.
Registered in England & Wales: 04909220.
Registered Office: IC2, Keele Science Park, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5NH.

This message has been scanned for security threats by iCritical.

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you have received this message in error, or there are any problems with its content, please
contact the sender.