docs/178221: Addition to handbook jails chapter: warning about make deinstall

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-lists at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Apr 29 19:30:04 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR docs/178221; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-lists at be-well.ilk.org>
To: Brandon Thomson <bt at brandonthomson.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/178221: Addition to handbook jails chapter: warning about make deinstall
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:22:57 -0400

 Brandon Thomson <bt at brandonthomson.com> writes:

 > When setting up a machine according to the "Application of Jails"
 > section of FreeBSD Handbook [1], one runs into a problem where "make
 > deinstall" inside of a jail does not work as expected. There is a
 > workaround, which probably should be noted in the chapter.
 >
 > Note that this only applies to ports installed in a jail. Ports
 > installed on the base system do not need the workaround.
 >
 > [1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-application.html
 >
 > Original thread: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=213757
 >>How-To-Repeat:
 >
 >>Fix:
 > The workaround is to use "make deinstall PREFIX=/s/usr-local", where
 > /s/usr-local is whatever make spits out when you type make
 > deinstall. If you followed the handbook instructions exactly it will
 > be /s/usr-local.

 Maybe it's just that I don't work with jails much, but I'm not following
 the issue.

 If you're actually running *inside* the jail, you shouldn't see that
 prefix.

 Where you need to run the command that way is if you're using the parent
 system to update the port that the jail runs. But then your "make
 install" process is not actually *in* the jail at all.